There has been a lot of information written about why it's not good to work with people close to us.
I'm sure you've heard a bunch of horror stories.
My view is the opposite and think it's great to work with them! Here's why:
- Life is short and we are getting busier over time, why not spend more time and work with people you love.
- You already know their deeper values and there is alignment. Skills can be learnt, values cannot.
- Trust is everything and you know you can depend on family and friends.
- Getting to know their character more deeply as business will take you guys to untested waters. Whatever happens, your relationship will evolve beautifully together.
- For most people in startups, their business and life naturally flow together. Your conversations will naturally go deeper in all areas as there is a strong comfort between you both.
Admittedly, you need to have clear boundaries and align on values/beliefs together. Also like any business relationship, it will go through all emotions of life.
Wishing you lots of joy if you go, or have gone down, this path of working with a friend or family.