There is a lot of information out there about being present and more mindful in life.
However, there is less information on how it can be applied at work.
Here are 6 tips that I use to be present more at work:
- Conscious breathing - At the start of each meeting, I usually take a few quiet breaths and feel the air go into my body and then out. This relaxes me and brings me to the moment.
- Tasting the water or whichever fluid on the tongue will immediately centre us.
- Shoutouts/Gratitude - This idea is from the Whole Foods CEO where at the end of the meeting each person has a chance to give appreciation to any of their colleagues about the meeting or something they have done for them.
- Walking meeting - Have at least one walking meeting outside either on the phone or together in person. This feature needs to be added in Google Calendar to remind us. :)
- Feel the pen on our fingers when writing or feel the keyboard when typing.
- Conscious listening - We are not focusing on the words someone is saying, but their energy and the space in between the words. The space between words is the magic, as the silence centres us and brings us to presence.